POLARKON Structural Health Monitoring System
POLARKON is the business partner of Strainstall UK in the area of Structural Health Monitoring System.
WHAT IS POLARKON STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING SYSTEM (PYSIS)?
It is a monitoring procedure to reach conclusions about whether or not steel or reinforced concrete structures are completed in accordance with required techniques and their projects, and to monitor structural behaviors by gathering data.
WHY WE NEED PYSIS?
In our age
- Computer Hardware,
- and communication technologies are improved greatly and are still keep improving.
- Designs, which are imagined by architects, are pushed to the edge, and with every passing day higher buildings, more irregularly shaped structures and bridges with record breaking openings are competing with each other.
- These demands about design are evaluated and met with our standards. Engineers and technicians can make very good use of the newly developed, economic and improved structural analysis softwares.
- There may be similar demands within the manufacturing technology. Costly and special production technologies necessary for manufacturing extremely difficult and expensive products, have now become common technologies with computer assisted work benches.
But at this point, control mechanisms for eligibility checks and inspections of constructions, which located in our country and in the world, are still insufficient.
Existing control mechanisms have fallen behind the times and occasionally may remain subjective with analogue set-ups. These monitoring mechanisms are limited by,
- Material inspections and testings before manufacturing
- Dimensional control and performance monitoring on-site during manufacturing
- Physical examinations and eye inspections after completion.
- In according to all these improvements, it has become necessary to develop inspection and monitoring methods by using similar technologies.
EXISTING MONITORING METHODS
- Impact tests (endurance and pressure tests)
- Chemical tests
- Non-impact evaluation techniques
- Inspecting quality certificate of manufacturer etc.
INSPECTION OF CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUES:
- Inspecting installation techniques
- Inspecting the torque of the bolts
- Monitoring the weldings
INSPECTION AFTER COMPLETION
- Physical Examination
- Eye inspection
TODAY, AFORESAID INSPECTION METHODS ARE NOT SUFFICIENT TO INSPECT AND MONITOR SUPERSTRUCTURES DESIGNED AND CONSTRUCTED WITH COMPUTER ASSISTANCE.
PYSIS PROJECT (POLARKON STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING SYSTEM) EMERGED TO ANSWER THIS NEED.
“ WITH PYSIS, STRUCTURES ARE SECURED. YOU WILL KNOW WHETHER OR NOT YOUR STRUCTURE FREE OF PROBLEMS. ”
Especially for the sensitive measurement of the stretching of the steel parts and shifting of the structures, POLARKON carried out tests and calibrations using METU and DSI laboratories. During this period, analogue to digital converters specifically-designed for the project were produced by building business partnerships with the firms established in the Teknokent. And in parallel with these works, POLARKON also developed a web-based application for evaluating and reporting all the data by automation.
The developed system became the subject of an industrial thesis about its field-use since 2009 and also became the subject of an industrial thesis (SANTEZ) about monitoring Erzincan Airport Terminal Building’s main girder and one of the trusses to which POLARKON was the main steel contractor. Within the scope of this application, 16 strain gauges and 1 accelerometer were mounted on the steel structure and by creating main control and communication modules, system which has became capable to send data. With the system setup; even the stress occured on the trusses was being monitored while heaving.
Currently, POLARKON is able to determine the actual state of the structural health of steel structures after installation, and can follow long-term structural health changes at the requested intervals and details. In this way, The actual structure health can be assured.
WHAT IS STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING SYSTEM (PYSIS-POLARKON STRUCTURAL HEALTH MONITORING SYSTEM) ?
By integrating quickly improving and simplifying digital systems and mobile communication technologies into the unique software developed in-house, POLARKON has developed unique technologies to measure the structural health of critical structures.
In the content of this system, POLARKON gathers all the data aimed at monitoring the structural health of steel structures (tension, stress, displacement values - displacements, rotations, support reactions, effects of the structure related external loads etc.)
- by forming an infrastructure for
- Consistent and long-term
- compiling of instantaneous numerical values and then transmitting to the information processing center at the headquarters
- by using a smart and web-based data management system which employs mobile technologies.
- PHYSIS has a very flexible software.
- Reports that users request; can be sent periodically, in a way that is determined by the user over the web.
- Reports can be sent:
- daily, weekly, monthly, periodically (quarterly, semi-annually and annually),
- As numerical values in Excel files or
- In graphical form
- Via e-mail, SMS or fax.
- User, depending on his/her own choices, using his/her own user code and password can access all the data, identify his/her reports and create his/her own automation system by programming the report type and frequency to receive the continuously generating reports.
- Alert System: It is designed to give momentary warnings in case the user-defined safety of structure thresholds are approached for some reason, so that the necessary inspections and precautions could be taken. These warnings can be delivered via SMS, e-mail and fax.
BENEFITS AND RESULTS OF THE SYSTEM
- A steel structure equipped a PYSIS has the following important distinctions.
- Especially in steel structures, detecting errors after the installation is very difficult, almost impossible, to do. It will be determined whether the bolts are tightened fully and thoroughly, welds made in accordance with the proper techniques, the suitability of the installation tolerances, the manufacturing defects and any problems that may arise from the installation errors by comparing the data gathered after the installation with the theoretical values and thus it will be possible to detect whether there are any structural problems after the installation. Briefly, PYSIS is a scientific and objective system to accept the project and to determine on its own, whether the work is done according to the project and whether the proper techniques are followed.
- After installation, if the structure were to be monitored continuously for a long time, it would be possible to make precise judgments about the structural health by comparing the data gathered over the years under similar conditions and loads. It is possible to be informed by PYSIS about any possible negativities of the structures immediately after inception of the problem. PYSIS is a system that guaranties the steel structures themselves with the safety of all the property and life under them.
- It is possible to obtain very clear information about any possible permanent structural damage or how much structures was affected after sudden events like a possible earthquake, a storm, etc., on the structures equipped with PYSIS.
- By using the data gathered and recorded by PYSIS, it would be possible to support various R&D studies from determining the life of structure to developing new kinds of support types.